Monday, May 11, 2009

A Wake Up Call

Last week Phoenix and I went to a class with 5 other high drive bordercollies. This was a needed eye opener for me on how much farther I still have to go in working focus with Phoenix. She started out great, able to hold her down while the other dogs worked and still responding quickly to cues. By the end of the class I had to walk her off as she was totally back into staring mode...staring at the other dogs, staring at the equipment, staring at the corner, I think you get the idea basically looking anywhere but at me LOL

So solution is to go back to the head halter so that I can get control of her head in these situations and just work on her getting to do simple behaviours around the excitement of other border collies working. This little girl loves to test my ability to stay patient yet enthusiastic and to maintain criteria.

On Sunday I stopped by K9 Klubhouse's trial to cheer on some friends and students. It's a big reminder of how far I've come when I watch our students trial their dogs for the first time. I remember being just as nervous and stressed out as they are but thankfully I have learned to control that and now I'm generally pretty relaxed when I enter the ring with my canine partners. The best advice I got was from Kathy Keats who said that if you are feeling nervous or worried to find a nearby tree, put your hand on the trunk and just transfer all your stress and nervousness to the tree. She said it will always be there later if you feel you want to pick it up again. There was obviously a more detailed explanation but you get the idea. Anyway this totally works for me and I love it.

Today I am thankful for all the trees in the world and that they are okay with me leaving all my worries with them for awhile...ok truth be told I rarely go back and pick them up :)

No comments: