Friday, April 17, 2009

And they called it puppy love...

Yesterday Shona and I did an impromptu photoshoot with our two youngest dogs. Phoenix and Ripley are such cuties I just had to share this pic.


I know, I know you've heard enough about Say Yes but since going I've become much more interested in the science of dog training as opposed to the art but I wasn't sure where the best place to pursue resources was. I had a total light bulb moment though - my Dad is currently a PhD candidate in psychology at UofT so I convinced him to sign me out some books from the library on learning. They looked very intimidating at first but I started with the one he used as a text book in one of his courses on behavior and learning and I must say I'm actually getting into it. I can't believe I'm reading a text book for fun!

I still believe that there are those who train animals who just have an inate ability to do it well and produce amazing results and that some of us will never be able to do the things they do, that there is an "art" to it. Having said that the science behind animal training is undisputable to me and I know that through practice my mechanics will improve immensely and I will be able to achieve pretty much everything I hope for with my guys.

Today I am grateful there are so many resources available to all of us and that I've just found myself another one.

No comments: