Friday, April 24, 2009

Exhausted!

This week has been crazy but so much fun. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Peso, Phoenix and I attended Laura Derrett workshops which were amazing but then I had to come back to reality today and work a double shift at work so needless to say I'm ready for a hot bath and bed. I have to work all weekend but I also need to find some time to work Phoenix on the plank in the back yard with a target plate as I've found some holes in my contact training with her.

Tuesday I did Double Box with Phoenix. I ended up putting her in a down at the startline as her sit is way too vulturish and I really want to fix that so I didn't want to rehearse bad behaviour all day. She did great starting in the down and actually did not take any of the first bars. She was rockin at the seminar and is such a blast to run. It feels right on the edge of out of control all the time but she's so responsive that as long as I have my act together things go really well. It's just such a rush to play with her and she really does seem to give it her all and had her head together really well for our first time outdoors. The only times things got a little sketchy was at the end of the day when the rain started and the tunnel made it's first appearance. She really turned on the afterburners but there seemed to be some sort of vortex drawing her towards the tunnel.

Wednesday and Thursday Peso got to play. I really love working with my boy. I have been so blessed to have him so early on my dog training path. I feel we are connected on such a deep level and I could not love him anymore than I do - he has my whole heart. Anyway enough with that stuff. Wednesday was interesting, it really opened my eyes to how weak my rear crosses are. I can totally do them on course but I'm not executing them properly and he's really questioning them. One really great thing was that we did this frontcross drill which tests your dogs respect for your blindcross body line and Peso was such a good boy. When we did it last October he totally cut behind my back and took the wrong jump but this time he came in between all the gaps - what a star! I guess consistency really does pay off LOL On Thursday we did some exercises in the morning on finding and driving lines and again I found some holes in my training - a bit of flicking going on but I think I can clean that up. In ther afternoon we ran some courses - I can't believe how much more difficult the European courses are then the ones we see here in Canada. I was really proud of how Peso and I handled them - need to work those weave entries though.

Okay I'm too exhausted that's all I can remember. I'm buying Shona's old camera this week so hopefully next time I'll have some video to post.

No comments: